Monday, April 28, 2008

Internal Communications


Internal communications is an extremely important concept for effective overall communication. If a company is not functioning internally, then how can it function to its fullest potential? This link( http://www.managementhelp.org/mrktng/org_cmm.htm ) is some good information as to why internal communications fail. It states these key points as reason for failure:
1. If I know it, then everyone must know it.
2.We hate bureaucracy -- we're "lean and mean."
3. I told everyone, or some people, or ...?
4.Did you hear what I meant for you to hear?
5.Our problems are too big to have to listen to each other!
6.If I need your opinion, I'll tell it to you.
ect. the rest of the list is in the link. I feel these are great examples of why internal communication fails.
I also found this interesting blog on why internal communication is important and what the benefits that come with effective internal communication. http://www.bizjournals.com/albany/stories/2002/08/19/focus7.html
"Without effective internal communications, the crisis of confidence in businesses and corporate leadership could hurt sincere efforts to build a positive corporate culture and to enhance employee morale and productivity, and devastate the overall image of an organization.
("Courtesy of the Business Review")
I know this example of a real life situation is off the wall. But, yesterday I went to Dave and Busters and one of the game machines ran out of tickets. I went to the bar and asked them to page a game technician because I had looked and could not find one. They paged a technician and told me they would be there shortly. After about 10 minutes of waiting; there was still not technician. The bartender said, "Well I paiged someone." Then, finally a bus boy came and noticed that I had been standing there for about 10 minutes and said he would go look for a technician in the kitchen. He came out with one.
In my opinion this is an example of a level of organization communication that failed. Just because the bartender sent out the message over his radio he assumed that someone heard it and was coming. Just as the game technicians assumed that someone else would handle it. In the end the customer ends up paying the price of standing around for 10 minutes or more. This could end up costing the company customer satisfaction.

No comments: